For the love of words

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Gyrations

Today's word is very, very common. But it does continue to cause confusion in my mind. Specifically,  every few months, I get confused about which of the two pronunciations of it lodged in my mind are correct? Is it gyrations (pronunciation begins akin to the first syllable of Jimmy), or is it guy-rations? Based on numerous web sources, the correct pronunciation is the former. So to remember it, maybe I should think of Jimmy Kimmel whirling about in a ballerina's costume, and attach the tag "Jimmy gyrates" to it!

PS-As I am from cow-country, and the term cow is referred to as "guy" in my native country, I should remind myself that not every word is about cows (or their sanctity), and therefore, "gyrations" can NOT be pronounced as guy-rations :-)

Till the next time I mis-remember this word's pronunciation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home