For the love of words

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Wonder of Words

Did you know that being called corpulent is akin to being referred to as obese, though it isn't necessarily an affront?

Would any in the audience know what a quadroon means? A person with a quarter black blood.

What would you be like if you have a prostration? Or if the economy of war-ravaged Afganistan were referred to as a prostration by news channels? The word itself means abasement that is, being in the worst possible state or a decrepit state. Thus, we can conclude that the economy of war-ravaged Afganistan is in doldrums.

Being disingenuous or using your influence in such a manner is a more challenging and inventive reference to throwing your weight around. Specifically, the word disingenuous is synonymous with calculating. So, I would desist from being that way, if I could help it :-))

Finally, to wrap up this first introduction to my wonderous awe of words, I'll leave with borrowed lyricism- In Love In The Time Of Cholera, one of the protagonists refers to camellia as a flower of promises. I too will end this post with the promise of many more, embellished with newer glistening words to add to my hopefully-not-for-long emaciated vocabulary and that of my fellow word lovers.

2 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Tushar Joneja said...

Simply fabulous. Just the kind of writing I like... Look forward to further updates.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger WiseFool said...

Good work !! Keep it up..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home