For the love of words

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The conundrum of love

As I read through an excellent book by a stalwart (Love in the times of cholera), while relishing deliriously joyous and enthralling passages, a thought peers through the glass-door of my mind, its patient wait clouding my door and misting my concentration. Finally, having been disturbed by its wait and a little intrigued by the mural it has fashioned on my door, I give the book a rest and run my mind through this intrusion. Unlike the perception of the word love that I've been handed down through various books, magazines, sitcoms, movies and the like (which primarily talks of love as an emotionally- draining, though spiritually-enriching state where one gives oneself up for the sake of another-be it a lover, a family member or even a pet), Marquez (the auther of the afore-mentioned text) uses the word much more fluidly, with various connotations attached to it based on the person and the circumstances of its use. Whereas love is meant as a euphemism for sex in some instances, in others its meaning oscillates between the unflinching passion and infatuation of one protagonist to the casually curious feelings of another. So, in celebration of and contrast to the simplicity of the use of the word by the celebrated Columbian, I have decided to list some words that we associate with or use in lieu of the word "love" (with the word being used most often to describe the emotional state I spelled earlier in the post)and their commonly-cited definitions:

Courtly Love: It refers to medieval-style love, which was conducted as a ritual dictated by the Church and society, right from how often one could glance at another to the duration of the sighs one could let out in the recognition of hitherto hidden yearnings- carnal and otherwise.

Calf-Love: See the entry that immediately follows this one.

Puppy-Love: The ephemeral affectations that grip pre-pubescent, neo-pubescent and young adolescents is reffered to as puppy-love, equating it with the all-embracing, ready affection that puppies and pets often shower on one and all.

And finally, the last entry is the most commonly-known one: Lust, which Merriam Webster Online describes as "usually intense and unbridled sexual desire". At the end of this not so long post on the words describing the exalted state of love, I'd like to quote a famous Indian poet, whose verse so adeptly describes the liberated feel of love (unlike what most people will have us believe it to be- a binding, wasting emotion)- "where the mind is without fear and the head is held high". Tagore used this verse and the ones that followed it in his antology of poems called Gitanjali to describe freedom which his countrymen had been cruelly cheated off, but love to me spells just as much freedom and security as the patriotic fervor for one's homeland.

3 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favourite books ever.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Nash said...

It seems to me that you are either a writer or a linguist in the making. The post you replied to on my blog was rather old, in fact, made by me last year in April. I was pleasantly surprised to see a comment on that post.

My blog is now maintained at http://nachiket.wordpress.com

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Rachit said...

I passed out of DPS RKP in 2001...and no I am not a techoe..rather used to be one.. am now pursuing an MBA..Interesting ur sis too went to VM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home